Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:32 PM Philipp Hancke <fippo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> etc.  People are switching away from WebEx to Zoom nowadays, because the UX
> is so much better.

Having tried the UX, I disagree. The web version is a truly nice hack
though.

Be that as it may, I don't see people switching _to_ WebEx, but I do see people switching _from_ WebEx, and essentially all of my online meetings except for IETF meetings are in Zoom these days.

If you want to have fun, start a wireshark capture, then start the zoom
client. Look for the DNS lookups. You will most likely see queries for
hostnames that contain "xmpp". They don't federate but are probably
among the ten largest c2s-only XMPP deployments in the world.

Hey, I'm not saying that XMPP is bad.   I'm saying that it's a bit inaccessible.   It sounds like maybe Peter and Dave are going to do something to make it more accessible, so that's a great outcome as far as I'm concerned!