Re: [103all] Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

On Aug 15, 2018, at 21:52, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It’s not a conference - it doesn’t say so on our web pages. It’s a meeting of a standards body, but that is considered work by some people.

Joe,

while I understand that it can be very satisfying, this is the kind of hair splitting that in the end benefits no-one.

*Of course* the IETF event is a conference:

conference | ˈkɑnf(ə)rəns |
noun
1 a formal meeting for discussion: he gathered all the men around the table for a conference.
• a formal meeting that typically takes place over a number of days and involves people with a shared interest, especially one held regularly by an association or organization: an international conference on the environment | the third annual National Wilderness Conference.
• [usually as modifier] a linking of several telephones or computers, so that each user may communicate with the others simultaneously: a conference call.
2 an association of sports teams that play each other.
3 the governing body of some Christian churches, especially the Methodist Church.

(Sense 1, in case you wondered, although I sometimes wonder about whether the other ones apply too…)

The IETF event is not a business meeting in the sense that we are discussing contract conditions and signing agreements.  I would not use the term “meeting” because it does carry this implication to many.  And I don’t care (at all!) whether that is right: I try to communicate with officials and I have to use language that evokes the right connotations with *them*, not with learned scholars of the English language.

(The problem with “work” is that it implies gainful employment.  Immigration officials will then additionally infer “for a business entity in the host country”, which of course isn’t true for the foreign attendees except for the AMS people.  [BTW, I would love to learn how they are handling the visa issue…  But maybe that cannot be discussed in the open.])

If the IETF web pages are broken in this regard, maybe they can be fixed.  I haven’t yet had immigration officials google the conference I’m going to, but it appears that does happen.

(And I’m still wondering whether we are endorsed/sponsored by TCEB.)

Grüße, Carsten