Re: [103attendees] [EXTERNAL] Re: Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

On Aug 16, 2018, at 07:49, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2018-08-16 13:22, Stig Venaas wrote:
>> I did not quite trust the businessevents web site, so I tried to to
>> look at the cited references, including the Ministry of Foreign
>> affairs, and I could not find any place there where it says that a
>> visa is not needed when attending a conference. The info I've seen
>> from various Thai consulates' web sites all seem to indicate that a
>> visa is required for attending a conference. Is there a more
>> authoritative source than the businessevents site stating this?
>
> I hope it's clear why IASA does not, cannot and should not offer
> any advice.

Of course.

> If a person born in country A but having a passport
> from country B and resident in country C wants to attend a
> conference in country D, travelling via country E, that person
> (or their travel agent) needs to find out whether a visa is needed
> in their particular case.

All that I was asking that, maybe, we could be efficient about that.

> As far as I can see, except for very clear
> cases, that means contacting the relevant consulate (the one that
> handles travellers from country C, but it might be located in yet
> another country).

The majority of the cases are those very clear cases.
If we could collect relevant information in a ready-to-process form, we could be way more efficient than with everyone having to start from scratch.

I apologize for asking for efficiency here; that may be a German thing.

Grüße, Carsten