Re: [103all] Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018, Bob Hinden wrote:

When asked by immigration why I am there I answer something like “I am attending an IETF meeting at the Fairmont Hotel in Montreal”. That is truthful and avoids the work issue. I haven’t been rejected yet :-)

Yes, it's best to avoid the word "work" when travelling. You're there to attend a conference, meet vendors or similar. You're there for business. Never "to work".

For thailand:

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php

http://www.thaiembassy.org/helsinki/en/customize/28150-ConferenceBusiness-meetingSeminar.html

"1. Foreign nationals wishing to enter the Kingdom of Thailand to attend a MICE event, which is endorsed or sponsored by TCEB, without being employed or working for income, are regarded as tourists"

Having spent a total of over a year and traveled in and out of thailand a non-trivial amount of time, I'd recommend to make things easier for everybody and just say you're going there for tourism if you're a passport holder from one of those 55 countries. If someone questions that, point to above rule and say you interpreted it as you should say tourism. Apologise profusely for the mix-up.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx