Re: AD Time

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 06:45:07PM -0500, Mary B wrote:
> So, this whole discussion started based on Kathleen sharing her experiences
> as SEC AD.  I've always thought that ADs could rely more on their
> directorates, but I do think SEC (and maybe OPS) is unique in that security
> applies to all our documents, as opposed to ART area, for example.  We have
> 3 ADs for ART and RTG.  So, maybe for SEC specifically a 3rd AD could help
> spread the day to day workload for the WGs for which they're responsible.
> I apologize if that has been mentioned - I gave up on reading all the
> emails in this conversation - if it has, then +1.

It's unclear how useful that would be -- roughly speaking, my AD time is
split into four buckets: document review for telechats, following up with
authors about my outstanding DISCUSS positions, AD review of documents from
WGs (and keeping up with the WG traffic prior to publication requests), and
generic IESG tasks.  The fourth category is quite fungible, locally
speaking, and does not need to claim much of my time unless there a topic
comes up where I am a domain expert (but I do try to support my colleagues
when time permits), so if I have time pressur during a given week, that
number can fall to almost zero.  With the biweekly telechat schedule, I
tend to spend a lot of time on document review durinig telechat weeks,
which pushes the other two categories mostly to the off-telechat weeks.  I
trust that my WG chairs will let me know if I have been remiss in my duties
following WG traffic and advancing documents past publication request, but
so far, it does not feel like WG management is consuming an unduly large
portion of my time.  Document review for telechats is the biggest factor,
perhaps 25-30 hours on a telechat week, depending, so I usually don't
specifically plan for other tasks during those weeks.  (I do have some
slop time for timely things that come up, of course.)  Other current and
former ADs have discussed strategies for splitting telechat workload across
ADs in the area (not 50/50, but perhaps 65/65, IIRC).  Ekr and I have mostly
not needed to make such a split yet, and we do tend to find different
things in our ballot positions, so there does seem to be a plausible risk
that splitting telechat review workload could reduce document quality.

I don't have enough data to make any real rigorous conclusions, but
hopefully this can help give a picture of how the SEC area is currently
functioning.

-Ben