Re: [Mtgvenue] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-14.txt

On Wed, 9 May 2018, Mary B wrote:

> Ole - you're way off the mark - mold is found universally throughout the
> world and I'm sure there's likely fungi on other planets.  The problem is
> that certain species only grow indoors when there is excess moisture and
> improper maintenance.

***OLE: Excess moisture is either the result of something leaking or
the result of high-humidity condensating (or just being present in the
air). I have honestly never been to a tropical place where this does
not hit you as soon you step off the plane. Leaks can be fixed, the
latter is a lot harder to deal with comprehensively. Cold places have
DRY air, so dry that we use humidifiers in the winter.

> And, you can determine a threshold using a HERTSMI or ERMI test.  A
> HERTSMI score >15 is not a safe place.  And, I'm okay with meeting
> in places that might be considered borderline for me because I can
> take my meds, although it could negatively impact others.

***OLE: Glad there is a test, but I still not sure what a spot-check
would uncover that we could realistically deal with prior to venue
selection, beyond the obvious extreme cases. The same goes for
second-hand smoke which we all encounter every day in one form or
another, some places more than others (I am in France at the moment,
yikes).

> BTW, your chemical sensitivity is actually a symptom of an issue with mold,
> so you might want to consider whether it could be contributing to any
> ongoing chronic health issues.  I'm happy to forward you research
> documenting why this is.  You are likely genetically predisposed as the
> issue is more common in those of Northern European descent.  And, you could
> well be someone that could benefit from the IETF not having meetings in
> moldy venues.

***OLE: Sure, I am just trying to point out that HUMIDITY is the
source of much evil in this context, I'd love to see properly
climate-controlled rooms, but I have not seen many in any hotel or
meeting venue in the world. High humidity = tropical places, Singapore
being a prime example.