Re: [Mtgvenue] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-14.txt

I personally do not find it acceptable that the bullet was added for Non-smoking, yet mold is totally being ignored.  Mold has the potential to have far more severe health impacts than secondhand smoke.  I can point to tons of published medical research on this topic.  Just because some feel it is a harder thing to accommodate doesn't mean it should be of lower priority than smoking.   And, no it's not just me that's impacted - I just have a more overt reaction, but 25% of our participants are being impacted - it's an additive impact.  And, the impact on a fetus should one of our participants be pregnant can be significant (again, I'm happy to provide research).

Symptoms of mold illness start as very non-specific and many just think their allergies are getting worse (which is one aspect but the inhaled mycotoxins are not recognized and removed due to an innate immune system defect.   And, the fact that we had a meeting in a venue that had such overt, obviously long term, water damage just isn't acceptable and clearly means that unlike the smoking issue it isn't a "current (implied) practice"  to avoid such, as Alissa noted in her email with regards to smoking.  I've offered to educate folks on some basic things to look for and how to do a very, very simple test.  And, no this would not significantly limit venues since this has been the only venue where we have met for the 20 years I've attended IETF that had the issue.   That's a bogus argument for not addressing this concern.

And, while some folks might think that I just shouldn't attend meetings in places that have a higher risk,  I will continue to do so as long as my job requires.  And, any building can have toxic mold no matter where it's located.  I go to many places that have water damage and some mold, but don't have an overt reaction because it's not the toxic levels that we encountered in Singapore.   And, if I go to Bangkok, I will be prepared - Tyvek suit, mold mask and most importantly a test kit so I can get a sample if I encounter issues.    I do find it quite ironic that we have a RG to look into human rights related to protocols, etc. but the basic human right to breath air that isn't full of mycotoxins, while attending meetings to develop such protocols, seems to be easily ignored.

Regards,
Mary.