Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 11:43:44AM -0800, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> For what it's worth, the policy as proposed does not ask that people avoid
> taking photos of anything other than individuals or small groups, regardless of
               ^ without explicit permission
> the indicators people are displaying.
>
> With regard to the example you give of someone being incidentally in the
> frame, that clearly would not be a subject of sanctions because the policy talks
> about "repeated intentional violations", of which this is neither.

Should be cleared up. It sounds as if anything is a violation. eg: define that
only intentional repeated captuiing of likeness is violation.

> The question of someone who is in the foreground is more interesting.
> Currently, our norm is that it's fine to take photos of anyone,
> but that maybe if you  get too  close then it's objectionable.

Did you read my mentioning of tele/zoom-lens ?

Aka: Is three any reason to make special rules for poking a camera
into someone vs. poking him/her with anything else ? If not, then maybe
just have an informational sentence re existing intimidation/harrassment
rules and that a close physcial use of camera constitutes that unless
explicit permission is asked.

More importantly, taking likeness of someone who does not want it with
a tele is the real novel concern IMHO to be addressed. And i am not quite
sure how well it can be resolved with the color coding.

In any case, if you do not address that issue, the new policy would be
even more pointless.

> The purpose of this part of the policy is  merely to
>
> (a) establish the norm that you shouldn't take photos of people who don't
> want you to.
> (b) create an easy way to signal that you don't want to be photographed.
> (c) make clear that it's objectionable behavior to photograph people in
> violation of this norm.

(d) Explain to people who do not want to be photographed what risk of still
being photographed, they will run into. Aka: you may be unintentionally
framed, this policy can not control non-attendee photography, ...

(e) Explain to people who want to do photography with a more explicit
whitelist what type of photography is considered to be fine.

(please d, e)

Cheers
    Toerless