Re: www.ietf.org

Inline

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 03:27:30PM +0200, Jari Arkko wrote:
> I wanted to comment on the discussion of the IGF text and picture on the web page. One potentially valuable piece of information on a web page like this is the dynamically changing information. It just happened to be Alissa???s and Ted???s post from IGF, but I think the idea is that it should change as some other relevant piece of information comes along. Another blog post, or, say, registration opened for IETF-nnn or that hotels are now bookable for the next half a day :-) I don???t think we should throw away the dynamic content??? although I understand why people were confused. Had the word ???news??? or ???blog??? for instance appeared in the text somewhere, it might have been clearer what???s going on.

Please make sure that there is tracking of history for dynamic content. Aka: associated with any dynamic piece of content should be a link to show the history (like a blog). Not to say that an RSS feed should be available.

> I as a consumer of this information would actually like to see this kind of thing on the web page, and would check back on the web page now and then to look for that.

And i want to be able to find and point people to stuff i remember from a week, a month or a year ago ;-)

> However, there are tons of other things I would need more rarely: registration page for next meeting, IPR search, list of noncom members this year, tutorials, hackathon page, ombudsteam webpage, IESG statements, list of people serving as ADs, ??? that I don???t necessarily remember or use daily. For most of those cases, I would have clicked on the IETF web page and ultimately find my way to the right place. Retaining that sort of ???ultimate directory of everything under the IETF??? functionality is I think still important, and much of the information here could be needed by either newcomers, old-timers, or completely external people. I think for that role, the main IETF web page still needs to be the starting point.

It is quite frustrating that you feel you have to say this. But indeed
it seems that the list of goals for the new IETF web page doesn't
include "IETF web page is a core tool for professionals
working for the IETF to do their (often (part-)voluntary) job"

And alas, this is IMHO still a core problem: I have yet to see any wb page that
strikes a good balance supporting vastly different communities. For example,
compare web-page where you are shopping with those of the phone
support people working at the companies selling the good (train, plane
automobiles, vacations,  whatever good & services). Hint: The pages with professionals
in front of them whose time is a cost factor look a lot more like the old IETF
web page and the customer pages a lot more (bloated,stylish) like the new IETF web page.

This goes fairly deep. For example: just look at how the fonts on the old IETF web page
where selected to be readable at the smallest size while the look & feel
of the new web page is made to impress but requires larger font size to be
readable. And i bet that the new web page designers are not capable or willing
to provide a different basic look & feel for pages directd more at professionals:
"Oh, the common look & feel is so much more important". This is a problem i havde
seen over and over again. Consumerization of professional web pages.

To completely put myself into the dog house: The old IETF web page could have
come from Microsoft. The new one from Apple. I rest my case.

Cheers
    Toerless