Re: www.ietf.org

I wanted to comment on the discussion of the IGF text and picture on the web page. One potentially valuable piece of information on a web page like this is the dynamically changing information. It just happened to be Alissa’s and Ted’s post from IGF, but I think the idea is that it should change as some other relevant piece of information comes along. Another blog post, or, say, registration opened for IETF-nnn or that hotels are now bookable for the next half a day :-) I don’t think we should throw away the dynamic content… although I understand why people were confused. Had the word “news” or “blog” for instance appeared in the text somewhere, it might have been clearer what’s going on.

I as a consumer of this information would actually like to see this kind of thing on the web page, and would check back on the web page now and then to look for that.

Otherwise on this topic — lots of comments, long thread, and many very valid points. And I wish — as this was my project not long ago -- that we could have provided a web page that people are happier with from the start. Clearly, work remains! FWIW, I’m with what Andrew, Eliot, and John on the analysis of issues and way forward. I did want to say many thanks to Russ, Greg, AMS, and everyone else who I know are working very hard on this, addressing the points that have been made. Thank you. I also wanted to say that the new web page is a marked improvement for instance on my ability to browse the web site on a smartphone.

Finally, I wanted to say a word on the IETFer webpage being data tracker and the other people webpage being ietf.org.  I think that is true, to an extent, but not entirely. As an IETFer you’ll remember where to go, have bookmarks or your browser remembers. For instance, I know how to get to a working group’s documents, charter, etc and for me that address has usually been the tools page for the WG. If I need to look at the tracker or submit a draft, I know that I need to go to the data tracker. And my browser remembers the URL for list of WGs, which turns out is something that often have to browse to, as I don’t remember that new WG’s name so I can’t directly go to it.

However, there are tons of other things I would need more rarely: registration page for next meeting, IPR search, list of noncom members this year, tutorials, hackathon page, ombudsteam webpage, IESG statements, list of people serving as ADs, … that I don’t necessarily remember or use daily. For most of those cases, I would have clicked on the IETF web page and ultimately find my way to the right place. Retaining that sort of “ultimate directory of everything under the IETF” functionality is I think still important, and much of the information here could be needed by either newcomers, old-timers, or completely external people. I think for that role, the main IETF web page still needs to be the starting point.

Jari