Re: paperless journals, was IETF Journal - November 2017

--On Saturday, December 2, 2017 14:20 -0500 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think we could use a small piece of technology to make this
> sort of thing easier to manage.
>
> The thing about formats is that if one person uses the format,
> the means of processing can be lost. But if you can get any
> sizable number of people to use a format, maybe as few as
> 10,000, and sufficient information encoded in it, then there
> will be sufficient incentive to decode it.

I think it depends on the time frame.  Let me give two examples
within the life spans of at least many of the people reading
this list.  At one time, there were a widely-used set of word
processing and calculation products made by Wang Corporation and
its imitators.  Their earliest generations that used demountable
storage media used 8 inch floppy disks; IIR Wang led the charge
for what because the nominal 5.25 inch format because the eight
inch ones were just too big for the devices.  For more than
10,000 people used them.   I would guess that it would be rather
hard to find a way to read and interpret those disks today and
that it isn't getting any easier.

A perhaps more interesting example was a somewhat more recent
device called, more or less, the IBM Magnetic Card Selectric
Typewriter.  The medium used had the same form factor as paper
punched cards, but had magnetic material on one side.  It was
almost exactly what the name sounds like: a typewriter with a
memory device attached that permitted storing (and, more
important, correcting) a document on those magnetic cards, and
then playing them back on the typewriter mechanism, a mechanism
that was also used in a few popular computer terminals of the
period.  The device could be seen as evolutionary from ASR
teletypes, but the advantages of magnetic media for test that
needed to be corrected and revised over punched paper tape were
obvious.  Even ignoring the question of bits dropping out, care
to speculate on devices to read those cards and decode the
formats (I don't recall if the latter were ever made public)
today.

If you want to look at formats, rather than storage media,
consider WordStar or first-generation runoff and its non-U**x
immediate successors.  Ever hear of "Compose"?   Usage of each
of those things almost certainly far exceeded your 10K.  If one
can recover the bits (want to borrow a spare 6250 BPI 9 track
tape drive or the earlier and lower density 7 and 9 track
versions?), those formats are recoverable because the are
basically known character encodings of the text (many, but not
all, ISO 646 variations) with a relatively small amount of
format markup that is easily parsed out.

What all of the above share is that the most stable and
efficient ways of recovering and using the documents they
produced is to find paper copies of their output and scan them
rather than trying to fuss with the magnetic media and native
formats.   It is not a coincidence that, when the community set
out to recover the earlier RFCs and made them machine-readable
-- documents of which many had been prepared using a variety of
those early systems -- the mechanisms used were "scanning" and
"typing in and proofreading", not attempts at recovery of the
digital forms.

And that is all less than, or about, 50 years.   I do believe we
are getting better at this sort of thing, as John and others
have pointed out.   However, I think the issues need to be taken
seriously and that neither use by a lot of people or procedures
to periodically recopy or widely distribute copies of the bits
are sufficient, even though they may be important steps or
tools.  As to standard and widely-used formats, I continue to
believe in them too, but the success record so far is not
grounds for long-term optimism.

best,
   john