Re: ISOC chapter and board compositon

Would you not agree that the main way for people to ensure integrity (of
ISOC and its chapters) is by participating actively? Chapters need IETF
participants to take an active interest and not be shy of taking leading
roles in setting up working activities and joining local boards.
Political perceptions of the Internet get swayed much higher up the
stack than the IP layer. Particularly if a policy wonk sniffs a low
hanging fruit to solve a pet political agenda. It takes considerable
perseverance and patience as well as clue to engage the political sphere
with the implications of the underpinnings of an open network
infrastructure in face of these snake oil salesmen in the application
spaces.

I agree with Scott that ISOC ought to keep the principles that
distinguish the IETF front and centre of its own mission and actively
encourage participation of IETF people in ISOC, particularly in the
chapters which are volunteer led and barely supported by ISOC (although
changes to this are starting to happen I understand).  Just because IETF
votes for three or so trustees in ISOC should not be the end or even the
beginning of engagement by those in IETF in their local technical
community. An ISOC chapter can become a useful focal point. But only if
the technical community deigns to join in locally and participate that way.

Christian

--
Christian de Larrinaga  FBCS, CITP,