Re: ISOC chapter and board compositon (was: Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement)

On Nov 25, 2017, at 14:49, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> […]
> I'd rather have no ISOC chapter than one that would be of
> very high risk of being captured by folks who wanted to pursue
> specific social or political causes in the name of such a
> chapter and whose take on those issues might be very different
> than mine, and to do so in an environment in which I wouldn't
> have time or energy to make counterarguments.

That is a nice summary of the core problem that those who actually do, tend to have with attempts to organize/getting organized [sic!].

In the end, we all have to recognize that we have to speak if we don’t want others to speak for us.

But, amazingly, we often have been able to find people who did want to run an organization without too many ulterior motives.
Finding those people, and finding the structures that enable us to protect them, is key.
(As is giving them the leeway that allows them to justify the effort.)

Grüße, Carsten