Re: Feature equivalence [was: ..sunset4-ipv6..]

On 3 Oct 2017, at 13:22, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And don't get me started on DNS-SD. Ever tried to use embedded home market equipment like
> printers remotely when both client and server use mDNS ? Or trying to figure out
> how to set up any form of DNS-SD across VPNs ? But sure, yes, lets first make sure
> there is absolutely no way to permit configuration of IP addresses or
> even DNS names so you surely can't get the service to work without configuring
> some klunky CLI mDNS proxy from some 10 year old README file.

Can you elaborate what you’re talking about there?

Every time someone at an IETF meeting taps the AirPrint button and prints on the Terminal Room printer, they’re accessing a printer remotely (i.e., from a different subnet/link, outside the Terminal Room) using unicast DNS-SD. And yes, it works over VPN too.

What are you talking about?

Stuart Cheshire