Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sunset4-ipv6-ietf-01.txt> (IETF: End Work on IPv4) to Proposed Standard

On 02/10/2017 08:54, Stephen Farrell wrote:
I do however
agree that we ought stop adding features to IPv4 that don't work for
IPv6,

Something that has been nagging me for a while is that the underpin of this statement, is the assumption that IPv4 and IPv6 are equivalent and work the same way. However, they do not work the same way. For example, IPv4 uses ARP and permits in-network fragmentation. So statements such as the above would mean that legitimate maintenance
might be precluded.

Rather than tie millstones to IPv4, wouldn't it be better to demonstrate the compelling
advantage of IPv6?

- Stewart