Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sunset4-ipv6-ietf-01.txt> (IETF: End Work on IPv4) to Proposed Standard

Hiya,

On 02/10/17 09:23, Stewart Bryant wrote:

> On 02/10/2017 08:54, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> I do however
>> agree that we ought stop adding features to IPv4 that don't work for
>> IPv6,
>
> Something that has been nagging me for a while is that the underpin of
> this statement,
> is the assumption that IPv4 and IPv6 are equivalent and work the same
> way.

I didn't make that assumption.

> However,
> they do not work the same way. For example, IPv4 uses ARP and permits
> in-network
> fragmentation. So statements such as the above would mean that
> legitimate maintenance
> might be precluded.

I don't think legitimate maintenance adds features, at least
not in the sense I meant. I definitely would not want to see
legitimate maintenance precluded.

> Rather than tie millstones to IPv4, wouldn't it be better to demonstrate
> the compelling
> advantage of IPv6?

That's easy - the existence of available addresses is compelling
advantage enough:-)

In any case, I think this exchange illustrates the need for more
subtlety in any new policy statement on this topic.

Cheers,
S.