Re: RFC Series publishes first RFC with non-ASCII characters

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 04:04:04PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

> I am far too busy this week to research this and get back to you with
> details.  And I suspect that neither your computers nor mine are
> representative of those of RFC readers.  But there are so many things that
> have to work right for UTF8 to display and print correctly that I'm still
> amazed that it ever works, so am unsurprised when it doesn't.  It's the
> normal state of brain damage as far as I'm concerned.  It's just sad that
> IETF is now apparently saddled with it.

Now that I always use a UTF-8 charset locale (LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8),
UTF-8 *just works* all the time.  What does not work well, is other
non-ascii charsets, as when I look at whois data from registries
that for reason still return iso-8859-1 instead of UTF-8.

Platforms where UTF-8 does not just work are the past, and it is
time to move on.

--
	Viktor.