Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Lemon" <mellon@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 9:31 PM

On Sep 18, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Adam Roach <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given that the formal name for the thing we're calling a BOM is "ZERO
WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE" -- which is a pretty accurate description for how
it is intended to be rendered in UTF-8 -- I'm not sure what kind of
visual damage you've envisioning here.

When you copy and paste the text, does it copy the ZWNBS or not?

<tp>

It is bound to depend on which of the hundreds of different utilities
you use.

With recent Wordpad,
select all  - copy - new document - paste - save as text
produces a document that displays ok (and is not in UTF16 which Wordpad
sometimes uses)

Copying just the initial lines of the document produces one fails to
display the Euro symbol etc (much as I would expect)

Tom Petch