Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On 9/18/17 15:18, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 18, 2017, at 4:03 PM, Adam Roach <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do we? Can you cite something that makes this claim under color of consensus?

Also, consider what it takes to make catting a UTF-8 file work in a terminal program.   ISTM that the only way for it to not spew garbage characters is for the terminal program to understand UTF-8 without requiring a BOM.   I suppose you could make the terminal program elide the BOM wherever it's encountered in the output stream (on a character boundary), but this isn't how BOMs are supposed to work.

Given that the formal name for the thing we're calling a BOM is "ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE" -- which is a pretty accurate description for how it is intended to be rendered in UTF-8 -- I'm not sure what kind of visual damage you've envisioning here.

/a