Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On 9/18/17 16:59, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 18, 2017, at 5:51 PM, Adam Roach <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't want to get in a protracted argument either, but I find your assertion that "it does cause problems" to be lacking concrete examples. Can you provide an existence proof of one such example? If you're right, it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm taking Carsten at his word: he described some significant problems.

No, he described some significant (and not entirely unjustified) concerns. His description of the actual example I ask for, he provided nearly nothing.

To wit: he described exactly one tool -- written by Martin Thomson -- making the wrong guess between two variants of markup. That's not nothing, but I expect that even Martin would concede that it was a pretty ugly and fragile hack to start with (e.g., both file formats would legally allow files to start with two linefeeds, and cause the tool to fail in the same way as a BOM does).

/a