Re: IETF Last Call conclusion for draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08

Hi Robert,

On Apr 4, 2017, at 9:22 AM, Robert Raszuk <robert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Brian,

> In any case if we see this entire thread the only technical concern with EH
> insertion was MTU. And how that issue is solved when you do additional IPv6
> header encap ?

PMTUD applies to the path between source A (encapsulator) and destination B
(decapsulator). If you decapsulate at B and the encapsulate again, PMTUD
applies to the path between B (encapsulator) and C (decapsulator). They are
completely independent; it's a new packet. PMTUD doesn't occur between A
and C at all.

​Are you saying that it is "legal" to fragment IPv6 packet by a router at the encapsulation point in the network ?

That would be news to me.

Yes. It is legal. Please take a look at section 7 of RFC2473.

Regards
Suresh