Re: IETF Last Call conclusion for draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08

On 30/03/2017 15:59, Leddy, John wrote:

> If this insert/delete of an SRH is prematurely prohibited;  What is a recommended solution to the Real World problem above.  Not use case, we are implementing.
>
> Again; I’m worried we are eliminating a tool that may prove very helpful, preclude its use in future IETF work and shutdown a path for Innovation in Networking,

I've tried to say this before but I'm not sure people are getting it:

RFC2460bis, if approved as is, draws a line in the sand *for interoperability across the whole Internet*. There are reasons for this - PMTUD in any form, any future replacement for the unsuccessful IPsec/AH, and all the problems of deploying extension headers that are understood by some nodes and not by others.

There is no reason why a subsequent standards-track document cannot allow header insertion (and removal) within finite domains where the above issues do not apply. In fact, an improved version of draft-voyer-6man-extension-header-insertion-00 could become exactly that.

There doesn't need to be a tussle here.

   Brian Carpenter