Re: IETF Last Call conclusion for draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08

Hi Robert,

On 31/03/2017 04:31, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Could you elaborate a bit on the definition of "accidentally escaping
> packets" ?

There was concern that configuration errors are always possible, so a
a host might send packets with stateful flow labels to an external
destination (first error) and the border router might fail to block
them (second error). I think your case is a bit different.

(I have a meeting this afternoon with some people who want to
define a local use of flow labels compatibly with RFC6437. These
arguments span many years.)

> The fundamental issue with original Suresh suggestion I see is that his
> proposed text kills ability to have 2460bis as normative reference in any
> other draft describing or defining extension headers. And effectively stops
> any work which needs to be based on 2460bis till 2460bis is updated.

No, that's a misunderstanding of how RFC spaghetti is constructed. What we'd
do is produce (I'm making this up) draft-ietf-6man-extension-header-insertion
which includes an Updates: 2460bis header. If approved, it becomes a Proposed
Standard that updates an Internet Standard. And it says, quite explicitly,
something like:

"Within a network domain defined as in Section N, there is an additional
exception to the following rule in Section 4 of [RFC2460bis]:
   With one exception, extension headers are not examined, processed,
   inserted, or deleted by any node along a packet's delivery path,
   until the packet reaches the node (or each of the set of nodes, in
   the case of multicast) identified in the Destination Address field of
   the IPv6 header.
The exception is that..."

That's what I meant about 2460bis being a line in the *sand* in
another message. Not carved in stone.

    Brian