Re: [Mtgvenue] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

On 5/26/16 8:18 AM, nalini.elkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
But I think for some people, no matter what I or any of the other
people say, they will not be convinced.  So now what?  I think we are
pretty much at that pass today.

I think it was rather clear from the questions you proposed
that you don't actually understand the potential problems
around parental and familial rights, etc.  I would also
suggest that it's extremely difficult to understand the
subtle ways in which particular bigotries are implemented
unless you've lived it, or the ways in which they're negotiated
by the people who live with those bigotries daily.

If you live in a community which has institutionalized
homophobia, or racism, or ..., you learn that you can do
<x> but not <y>, these are the places you can go and these
are the places where you're likely to run into trouble,
if you do run into trouble do <a> but definitely do not do
<b>, and so on.  Visitors to those communities don't know
these things and do not know what's safe and what isn't.

Pretty much every American, Canadian, or European GLBT
person in their 30s or later knows of a situation in
which something as simple as a hospital check-in spiraled
out of control and turned into a horror.

On a personal note, I'd be grateful if people would avoid
posting statements of the form "I totally support GLBT rights,
but <insert unsupportive comment>."

Melinda