Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If we are going to bring breastfeeding into this, which seems reasonable,
> it's worth asking if someone can actually construct a situation in which the
> breastfeeding mother would be present with the baby, but the local
> government would not recognize _her_ parental rights.   Or is the concern
> that if she were incapacitated, the other parent would be unable to take
> responsibility for the baby?   I think you have to engage in some pretty
> significant contortions to construct this as a problem that the IAOC
> absolutely must, out of fairness, solve.   That said, I have no personal
> experience in this, so I'm asking, not telling: is there a scenario where
> this would actually be a problem?   How likely is this in practice?

This was brought up to explain that it is sometimes necessary to
travel with family, kids & a support person (who may or may not be
family).  It's just a concrete example of it being a necessity.
Thanks, Alia for spelling out all of the reasons that make it a
necessity as I didn't want to :-)  Sure, this doesn't fall into a
reason why two men in a relationship need to bring their child, but
Ted said he had to miss a meeting, so there are likely other reasons
that make it necessary to bring a child and companion or not be able
to attend.

I didn't attend BA.  My son would have needed to come although he was
a bit too young for travel at that point.  He will be with me in
Berlin and Seoul.

Kathleen

--

Best regards,