Re: ietf.org end-to-end principle

On 3/17/2016 10:20 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
I do think that one way to start to address some of this is
to reshape the way the organization is structured so being in
a leadership role (that is to say, the ones most likely
to be in position to block publication of a document they don't
like and to charter new work) isn't a full-time job, so that
people whose actual job it is to build networks, talk to
customers, and so on are able to step into those positions.  I
don't think that will fix the problem but I think it would be
an incremental improvement.

There have been a number of arguments raised, in favor of reducing the amount of time needed to perform various I* tasks, and especially that of area director. But while 'diversity' and 'size of the pool of candidates' have often been mentioned, I don't recall previously seeing the above point made, nevermind highlighted. And highlighted it should be...

I think Melinda's suggestion that we would get more leaders who are directly responsible for delivering technology and products and services, rather than merely being adjuncts to such efforts, is remarkably well-taken.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking