Re: R: R: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015, John C Klensin wrote:
> Ole,
>
> In years past, when we have had a small venue or venue-connected
> hotels, we've arranged contracts so that there are really two or
> more "official" (even if not all "HQ") hotels, hotels with which
> the IETF has contracts that cover relevant policies, Internet
> access, etc.

***OLE: Yes, and we do this time as well.

> We also managed to announce all of those hotels at the same time
> as the HQ one, thereby alleviating some of the panic that leads
> people to want to make reservations in the first hours in case
> they might want to come (something I've been guilty of as my
> meeting attendance pattern shifts to "decide within the month
> prior to the meeting whether I really need to travel to it").

***OLE: I believe it was the intention to announce them at the
same time, but it was not possible for reasons I will let others
explain.

> That is different from "overflow hotels", with which IETF/IAOC
> has traditionally facilitated identification of locations and
> reservation arrangements but not otherwise been involved, and
> "nearby hotels" that are around and may be identified but for
> which the IETF doesn't even identify a handy travel bureau.
>
> Since you seem to be the one giving reassurances, what are the
> actual Yokohama arrangements on the spectrum between "official"
> and "nearby"?

***OLE: Please stand by until the announcement is made, I don't
have all the information at hand, but I do know there are plenty
of rooms at nearby hotels, at reasonable prices.

> Also, and reinforcing Melinda's point that this many imply that
> we should be lowering emphasis on f2f meetings, part of the
> claimed value of f2f IETF meetings has always been the informal
> meeting opportunities.  We seem to be getting away from that as
> the traditional "Bar BOF" becomes something that is formally
> organized and scheduled, the Thursday evening examination of
> drafts and draughts get harder to reliably schedule, and so on.
> But distributing people among multiple hotels tends to make
> those semi-spontaneous events harder to arrange (e.g., if
> breakfasts are included in hotel rates and/or hotels don't
> expect people to eat breakfast there would aren't staying there,
> scheduling actual breakfast meetings can get challenging).
>
> My experience with many IETFs (although not as many as you,
> Mike, and a few others) is that, especially in the last several
> years, there always seems to be something, even after one
> adjusts for the tendency of the community to whine and make a
> big issue out of small glitches and inconveniences.  I can't
> help but feel that some of them indicate that we are losing
> sight of our priorities relative to effective meetings versus,
> e.g., nice locations or outreach to new regions or locations.

***OLE: I would say that it mostly boils down to our MEETING
room requirements which appear to be ever-expanding. But that's
probably a discussion for another list/day.