Re: What is a "management position? [Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-harassment-05.txt> (IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures) to Best Current Practice]

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 01:37:54PM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
> However I'm not clear about the pragmatics, given the the Ombud, or
> whoever makes the request, has confidentiality requirements that limit
> what they can say to the person with the authority to remove the
> miscreant...

Someone who has no formal authority but is influential has two ways to
make that influence effective:

1.  Lobby in private, saying nasty things about someone or whatever to
someone who _does_ have authority.  In that case, the abuse-redress
procedure actually needs to go after the person with the actual power,
because that's what's being exercised.

2.  Be abusive in public.  In this case, the official office-holder
either needs to do something or else, again, be implicated in the
abuse.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx