Re: gmail users read on...

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Hector Santos <hsantos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The whole point of using theses alias or junk domains was to help protect your real professional domains and also get around some restrictions or slow down using your professional domain.

However, overtime, these junk domains have become more embedded in people's lives. They are using them more across more services.  It has become a "second life" for many.

I have taken the overwhelming majority of *NOG and IETF WG list subscribes out of my corporate identity into the cloud, for two reasons.

Firstly, the web tools have become significantly better to the point they are actually significantly better than the MUA on my laptop for free-text search, spamtag, sorting and keyboard accellerators.

Secondly, no matter how many times you say "my work does not own my opinions" it remains a risk of taint both ways. I know my work INFORMS my opinions. By using the throwaway generic mails I can establish to my own satisfaction I said it, not my work role.

Where it gets complex is when you want to have your corporate, potentially NDA covered work mail in the cloud. I'm not satisfied that the google response (as an example) demands you accept US law and physical storage. If they offered a guarantee its clouds lie inside my own polity, that works better for me. I realise that there are significant players in other economies who are delighted their content is not under the  hands of their own law enforcement, but I have other issues.