Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

three?  there are more areas than that and there are literally hundreds of other standards bodies.
all deal with growth the same way, by spinning off affinity groups.   case in point, MAWG.  Clearly SMTP driven email work should
remain in the IETF….   right?   ACM…  lots and lots of SIGS.    IEEE,  pick your  transmission working group.

Folks who insist on keeping IETF “intact” while allowing it to gain WG, areas, and warts like design teams and  directorates encourage bloat
and inertia.  Which leads to an ineffective organization.   So optimize the IETF to support a small handful of folks who want to make it easy on themselves
at the expense of organizational credibility or not…

/bill
Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet.