Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

On Aug 12, 2014, at 3:02 PM, Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Legend has it that there was once a meeting in Hawaii, and nothing got
> done.  The beach and all that.

I was there. There was a meeting at the University of Honolulu, and as a first-time IETFer, I walked away with two writing assignments and a working group chair role. Inter-Domain Routing was discussed, we had the first meetings of the Application and Security areas, SNMP MIBs were deeply discussed as a to-do for the next meeting, and so on.

The amusing part of the story is that I attended one meeting out of the previous IETF, at Stanford, and came home to tell my wife that I had a meeting coming up in Honolulu and there was no point in her coming as she wouldn’t see much of me. Her response: “oh, are we taking the kids?”. We did in fact take 2, leaving 2 with a friend, and took a vacation after the meeting on Maui. There was a dental convention on the island at the same time. My wife *still* talks about taking the kids around the island and seeing people from the dental convention, but nobody from the IETF all week.

The legend is inaccurate.