Re: Enough DMARC whinging

On 05/03/2014 09:42 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> ps. The original note was from Jim Fenton and it was him I was asking
> to explain his reference. He seemed to be making a point and I was
> asking him to provide it explicitly.

I have been trying to avoid additional DMARC whinging on this thread
(and list), but alas...

On 05/01/2014 11:43 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 5/1/2014 1:36 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:
>> I'd like to understand the relationship of RFC 4846, which is
>> Informational, with RFC 5792/BCP 92 here. The latter gives IESG 5
>> options for review of independent submissions for conflicts with the
>> IETF standards process, such as:
>>
>>    5. The IESG has concluded that this document extends an IETF protocol
>>       in a way that requires IETF review and should therefore not be
>>       published without IETF review and IESG approval.
> Since DMARC does not extend any existing IETF protocol, how is that
> reference useful here?

I was citing one of the five options IESG has. For brevity I chose not
to cite all five (everyone can find them in RFC 5742, not 5792 which was
a typo).

But since you bring it up, DMARC does alter (extend) SMTP, for example
by its recommendation in Section 10.1 that messages containing a single
RFC5322.From with multiple entities be rejected. It might be argued
that's not a significant limitation, but that's what the IETF review is
all about.

-Jim