Re: draft-farrell-perpass-attack architecture issue

On 1/15/14 5:40 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I absolutely agree that general guidance of this form would be valuable
> either in some general security BCP that the other security BCPs
> reference or restated in the security BCPs.

It is a basic precept of engineering that the earlier you spot a design
flaw, the less costly it is to address.  We needn't teach such basic
precepts in our series.

> we're not working on such a BCP now, so I'm trying to add the advice I
> need to this BCP in order for it to work for me as a WG chair and
> document author.

And as a working group chair you must balance ALL considerations and not
just this one.
> It's not so much a truism that we all agree to it.  I've definitely
> worked with WGs that didn't want to consider these sorts of issues when
> choosing technology and didn't seem to agree that they had to.

And I've seen participants all but derail working groups by solely
focusing on one design consideration.

Eliot