Re: Alternative decision process in RTCWeb

* Carsten Bormann wrote:
>In a similar vein, can anyone point out what we get if the IETF were to
>agree on a single MTI video codec for WebRTC?
>What is the upside to making this herculean effort?

There are a number of conflicting goals I have seen people express. Some
for example want compatibility with legacy endpoints without transcoding
video data. Others want to ensure that Free software implementations can
interoperate with commercial products (without unacceptable sacrifices
in terms of video quality and coding performance). Some simply do not
want that WebRTC becomes known for negotiation failures, which could do
serious damage to the protocol. And so on. I am not aware of anyone in-
sisting there be only a single codec though.

I do not know whether the Working Group's Requirements specification
denies some of the arguments (e.g., it could say compatibility with
legacy endpoints is a non-goal).
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxxx · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de