Re: Alternative decision process in RTCWeb

On Nov 28, 2013, at 3:45 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue here is different, the question is whether the people who write an deploy code can come to a consensus. A vote is not  going to make that happen. If the WG votes for X but a browser provider with 30% of the market insists that they won't do X, a vote is not going to change matters.

As a quick cheat sheet to where browser vendors might stand on this matter...

There are four major browsers. Firefox has said they will implement the standard and everyone I have talked to in the WG believe they will regardless of this video codec choice. Chrome awhile back said they will implement the standards but they have not updated that opinion recently. Many people believe they will implement the standard regardless of this choice (keep in mind Chrome already has both 264 and VP8 in it for the video tag). IE and Safari has not said if they will do WebRTC at all.

Mozilla plans to support both VP8 and H.264 and as far as I can tell prefers Daala. Google prefers VP8. Apple and Microsoft prefer H.264.