Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

I got onto the list but I am still a little concerned. Is the list really sponsored by the organizers of the conference? Will there be government participation?

I remember a maneuver I saw someone pull once where they asserted that organization X had requested all communication go through them as a single point of contact. Which turned out to be completely false but we believed it at the time.

At the moment we are being presented with a 'choice' between two models of Internet governance. There is the current status quo of a managed anarchy with the US having ultimate management control and there is the alternative of each sovereign nation carving out control within their own narrow geographic boundaries. I disagree with that framing, there are other alternatives.

Nor do I see a need to maintain any of the existing institutions unless they continue to serve our needs. ICANN keeps making these bids to be free of US government control which I can understand. What I do not understand is what parties they propose to be accountable to instead. Or rather I suspect I understand it too well and it is the empty set.

Rather than debate how ICANN or some other body should exercise regulatory powers I would rather we consider how to dissolve and diffuse those powers so that there isn't a single point of control to fight over. But this would require the process be responsive to the interests of sovereign governments in protecting their sovereignty while currently they are shut out.

Hence my concern about what the actual role of this mailing list is. I don't want my messages to be carried to the government parties through intermediaries and particularly not when my proposals are made without any concern for protecting anyone's livelihood.