Re: procedural question with remote participation

On 08/05/2013 10:07 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> One such hoop might be acknowledging the (privately sent) Note Well message
> (thus equating XEP-0045 Participant with IETF Participant to some degree).
> Another might be that we tell them to go away if their XEP-0054 vCard
> doesn't include sufficient detail (like their full name and email address,
> for example), taking us a step toward remote registration.

I hope folks who invest effort in tooling try to make it all
easier and not harder. Right now we don't have good tools that
allow remote folks to easily provide "live" input (and maybe
that's just because its a hard problem). So I'd say we should
keep trying to make that better and not worry yet about how to
control abuse of what's not currently usable.

On 08/04/2013 11:41 PM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
> And have separate rooms that require registering, like
> "[wg-name]@members.ietf.org" or whatever,

We don't have, nor (I believe) do we want, "members." And we do
want good technical input regardless of source. About the only
reason to try control that via registration is due to patent
nonsense. That is (unfortunately) a real reason, and we do have
to take it into account, but please let's all bear in mind that
99% of those patents are total crap (regardless of country afaik)
and let's not be driven by the stupidity but rather let's put
that in its proper place as a regrettable cost of being open.

Sorry to go on about that, but I don't think onerous registration
schemes are really needed to e.g. do floor control. And since the
former ("registration" stuff) is easy, and the latter (esp. with
remote audio input in our environment) is not, we might easily end
up doing the easy thing, and making it all worse.

Cheers,
S.