Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

Dan,

On 4/17/13 9:21 PM, Dan Harkins wrote:
>   We already know "who we are".

I disagree.  We make a whole lot of assumptions about who we are, but we
don't actually know, and that's why the question is being asked.  I
would clarify that IMHO the only reason this question should be asked is
for demographic purposes, along with others.

>  This question is trying to decide our
> gender make up and nothing good can come of it.
>
>   It will provide more "evidence" for people to make use of logical
> fallacies-- "if P implies Q then look we now have evidence of Q
> therefore P"-- which really have no place in an organization devoted
> to engineering.

This would be putting the cart before the horse.  We first need to
understand facts.  If we don't understand facts, then people will
continue on assumptions.

>   And it will be used as a baseline for doing work towards some goal
> that has not been justified, work whose very nature requires treating
> people according to what they are instead of who they are.
>
>    Look, bias stinks and when it exists its stench is detectable. I don't
> recall seeing any evidence of bias being presented on this list. And I
> don't believe there is any problem has been mentioned that we had or
> have that is caused by this predominance of white men. It's just been
> stated as a problem itself. We must have less white men. Why? Because,
> that's why.

Nobody has proposed that, and I think you can put a bit more faith in
your peers to not make important decisions based on "because".

Eliot