Re: Travel/Attendees list FAQ

+1,000,000

The argument that an RFC, retrieved from the web, is more accessible than a web page or wiki, retrieved from the web, does not reflect reality.

The argument that if the questions do not change much from venue to venue needs to be an RFC, and not a web page or wiki, does not hold water. RFCs are supposed to NEVER change. That is why we still have RFC 1000, 2000, 3000 available. Do we really need 6 RFCs covering "what makes a good host", because we keep thinking of new items or to fix old ones?

The argument that we need an RFC or twelve to show potential hosts, instead of a "how to host an IETF" web page is beyond wrong. One thing that keeps coming up is the people who do the on-the-ground hosting of IETFs are not people who attend IETFs. They are the "party planners," hotel coordinators, swag printers, etc. For them an RFC is entirely alien. I would be amazed if they (1) could find an RFC and (2) if they read beyond the 1.5 pages of IETF Trust boiler plate. Conversely, these people are totally used to going to a web page to pick up tips or requirements for hosting.

In theory I could be swayed for making this data available as a managed web page, but in practice it will get done if it is a wiki. Instead of 16 messages on why we should or should not publish an RFC, which most would agree would be obsolete before it gets published, we could have had 12 entries in a wiki. With Wes' work as a seed, we would be done by now.