Re: Errata against RFC 5226 rejected

On 08/12/2011 18:51, Russ Housley wrote:
Errata 2684 was entered against RFC 5226, "Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs".  After discussion with one of the RFC authors and IANA staff, I rejected the errata.

The errata author is saying that in many registries, there are no "unreserved" values.  For registries where there are a finite number of entries possible, the "unreserved" has a clear meaning.  For registries with an unbounded number of potential entries (such as media-types), the errata author is claiming that the "unreserved" label does not make sense.

I'd like to know what others think about this errata.

Russ

The text is in an etc sequence, and in some cases "unreserved" may be appropriate, although some other notation may be appropriate and the text makes it clear that a term that is appropriate to the registry may be used.

Stewart