Re: "class E" (was: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request)

On 05/12/2011 18:58, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Why don't the ISPs get together, outside the IETF (I so wanted to expand on
> this thought, but I had better not), and have one of them - one which is in
> an area with an RIR with the most available space - go their RIR and ask for
> a /10 for their in-house CGN - and then publish the number and say 'hey,
> everyone, here's a /10 that anyone can use for their CGN'? And then, _once
> it's already allocated_, they could even publish an I-D/non-standard-track
> RFC documenting it, and how to use it...

Given that we just saw a /16 sold for $12/ip, what makes you think that any
carrier would open up a /10 allocated to them for the good of humanity, at
a potential future asset loss of $50m?

This is why this sort of address space needs to be allocated by policy, not
by bequest.

Nick