Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27:30PM +0700, Glen Zorn wrote:

> > advance of the actual event.  Agreements about the future almost
> > always require the party buying to take some risk that they will be
> > paying more than the going rate at the time the actual sale date
> > arrives.
>
> This can be minimized, though, right?  Maybe the conference room rate
> could be set at a percentage of the rack rate, for example.

I totally fail to see how that's going to help.

IAOC: "We want a rate at about $150."

Hotel: "We charge $300 a night."

or

IAOC: "We want a rate at about $150."

Hotel: "We can give you a % of rack rate."

IAOC: "What is the rack rate?"

Hotel: "$1000/night."

IAOC: "We want a rate of 15% of rack rate."

Hotel: "We will not go below 30%."

Worse, the second case requires that the IAOC also negotiate a freeze
in the rack rate.  Every business problem can also be solved by
another layer of indirection.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx