Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

On Aug 23, 2011, at 10:27 PM, Glen Zorn wrote:

> On 8/24/2011 3:33 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:29:34AM -0700, David Morris wrote:
>>
>>> For this to be a meaningful disccusion re. the success or lack there of,
>>> we need to compare what we have vs. similar sized groups in the same
>>> season, etc. at the same venue.
>>
>> _And_ having negotiated at the same time, as Ray pointed out already
>> in this thread.  Every time one of these discussions comes up, people
>> seem to forget that the negotiations are happening several years in
>> advance of the actual event.  Agreements about the future almost
>> always require the party buying to take some risk that they will be
>> paying more than the going rate at the time the actual sale date
>> arrives.
>
> This can be minimized, though, right?  Maybe the conference room rate
> could be set at a percentage of the rack rate, for example.

There are of course other exposures to be accounted for.

year over year the dollar buys a bit less than 10% less TWD than it did this time in 2010. while it is certainly could be done I don't think any of the participants bought dollar hedge contracts against the future cost of their hotel stay. the person arriving from geneva will pay about 14% less then they would have a year ago. given taiwan had about 1% inflation over the same time scale it seems unlikely that their costs went down correspondingly.