RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

> It's my sense that it's increasingly difficult to do
> work in the IETF without being physically present at
> meetings, as well...

I think that this has been true since the first IETF (at least if you replace the word "increasingly" with the word "very"). I also think that this is true of other standards groups that I have attended. If you attend a long string of meetings, you can probably miss one, send in a contribution, and people that you know might take it seriously. However, to have impact you need to make a habit of showing up at nearly every meeting (IMHO).

Ross
(also speaking with no hats on -- just giving my personal opinion).