Re: China venue survey

On Tue Sep 22 22:02:05 2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
I think we draw the line at restrictions on our freedom of speech.

There are a huge number of locations where freedom of speech is restricted. Arguably, depending on how precisely one defines it, the UK and much of the EU falls into this category, since many places will prosecute for "incitement" of various flavours.

I'm generally unfussed by these things, since I'm quite happy to live in the UK, and don't consider inciting people to violence, terrorism, or racial hatred a thing I want to do or permit others to do. I admit that incitement to democracy is, at the least, something I'd want to permit others to do, but probably not in the IETF, where, after all, we reject voting, right?

Indeed, our own meetings are scoped and moderated, and disruptive influences can be, and are, removed from mailing lists. (I have no clue if there's an equivalent to PR actions for physical meetings, but I can imagine that we might make one up if we needed to).

So if you're going to take a moral stance, I think you need to be careful about exactly what morals you're standing on. Or possibly for. To avoid getting as muddled as me on that front, it seems safer not to argue on that basis. Or for it.

On the other hand, I can accept as valid the suggestion that some people have made that the particular restrictions of speech that the PRC impose may restrict the scope of discussion that the IETF typically engages in. I suspect that it may not be so, and would hope that this can be determined, clearly, and in advance of any decision.

However, I would note that I'm still concerned about the possible effects by and on remote participation. But you'll all have read my other comments, right?

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx - xmpp:dwd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 - http://dave.cridland.net/