RE: China venue survey

I wonder if the situation deserves a look from another angle.

I'm certainly _not_ arguing that the restriction should be there. My
contention is that the restriction of  "don't criticize the Chinese
government and/or the Chinese culture" (however that's defined) is not
such a high threshold. Except for those who are determined to explore
the various political issues at the podium, which are arguably
non-technical in nature, I  submit that participants and speakers at
IETF meetings already practice self-censorship regularly. I would love
to be proven wrong.

Would you be speaking out about events during World War II - what
happened in China and Southeast Asia and what you think Japan's role is
in them when you attend the November meeting?

Did you make a point of speaking out at the podium about Native
Americans at any of the meeting in the Americas, say in San Francisco or
DC ? War on drug? And the current "unpleasantness" in the Middle East
(to borrow from Robert De Niro)?

Did you make a point to speak about Nazi's in a meeting in Germany IETF
39), or IRA in Dublin?

The answer is probably 'No'. And that would be a correct answer because
IETF meeting and podium are not the proper platform for such
discussions. I hope the Chinese government softens the stance on the
restrictions but that's neither here nor there. My point is that we do
self-censor and I don't understand how self-censor is being mentioned in
these emails as if it has never happened before.

I don't speak for anyone else or any entity, just for me.

Thanks,
Jerry
--
Jerry Huang, AT&T Labs, +1 630 810 7679 (+1 630 719 4389, soon)