Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

Hi,> You're heading into new territory, here.  Right now> IETF documents are written in English and they're
If you allow a bit of nitpicking here: they cannot be written in all thelabels the English language has to offer, and thus they can only bewritten in a *subset* of English. So a devil's advocate (which Iabsolutely don't mind playing here) could say that the restriction toASCII *prevents* expressing oneself in the full bouquet of Englishlanguage; unfortunately, English language is mandatory for IETFdocuments. So, staying with ASCII would require a reformulation for IETFlanguage from
"English"
"English words which can be expressed in ASCII encoding"
Example?
"Naïve" is a perfectly valid English word. (If your mail reader doesn'tdisplay this correctly: that's an i with two dots on top instead of one)Likewise is "coup d'état" an English word (e with accent). All loanwords from French, but nontheless English words.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naivehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d%27Etat
At least the first one has been used in an I-D from the IAB veryrecently(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-idn-encoding-00.txt). Itused the alternative spelling with a normal i; the other spelling wasobviously impossible for the reasons we are discussing in (parts of)this thread. Maybe the author wanted to use that alternative spellinganyway, but maybe he was forced to use it even though it hurt his eyeand he is now drowning in grief over the butchering of language he wasforced to execute in order to publish his work. We will never know forsure; unless of course the author tells us about his feelings on thislist :-)
Let's give ASCII its long-overdue coup de grâce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_de_grace ).
Greetings,
Stefan Winter
> displayable on a wider variety of hardware than HTML> is.  As I mentioned in the mail to which you're responding,> I think the choice of formats tends to support more> openness and accessibility.  I think you're implicitly> arguing that that's not the right tradeoff, and frankly> I think it's exactly the right tradeoff, myself.>> Melinda>> _______________________________________________> Ietf mailing list> Ietf@xxxxxxxx> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

-- Stefan WINTERIngenieur de RechercheFondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de la Recherche6, rue Richard Coudenhove-KalergiL-1359 Luxembourg
Tel: +352 424409 1Fax: +352 422473
_______________________________________________Ietf mailing listIetf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf