RE: Context specific semantics was Re: uncooperative DNSBLs, was several messages

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Hardie, Ted wrote:

> Since you now have two different meanings for what an A record is, you
> now need two different code trees that understand what A records are,
> and those code trees are not interoperable.

What do you mean by "interoperable" here? What would it mean for DNSBL
lookup code to interoperate with host address lookup code?

> Standard libraries called in this circumstance won't work,

In the code I'm familiar with, most of the DNS lookups go through the
standard resolver library's res_search() interface, including host
lookups, MX lookups, DNSBL lookups, etc. The structure of the code would
not be the slightest bit different if DNSBLs had their own RR type.

> and you'll need some mechanism to disambiguate the context so you know
> when to call the special library for a-record-in-dsnbl versus the code
> in a-record-in-standard-dns. At the moment, this is by application, but
> it may not always stay that way.

I wouldn't say per-application: it's more like per-feature.

Note that I'm not arguing against a new RR type, I'm just trying to
understand the arguments against the de facto standard.

One significant advantage which I have not seen clearly articulated is
that a new RR type could combine the functions that are currently
performed by A records (bit vector) and TXT records (explanatory URL)
which could greatly reduce the number DNS lookups.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
SOUTHEAST ICELAND: CYCLONIC BECOMING WESTERLY, 6 TO GALE 8, PERHAPS SEVERE