Re: IETF 72 --> Dublin!

All;
So, let me provide a little more background for the IAOC decision to hold IETF 72 in Dublin.

There were 3 venues under consideration - Geneva, Paris and Dublin.

Each of these Cities had venues with available dates.  After pre-qualifying each, a meeting and tech qualification team visitied the Geneva and Dublin venues. An IETF meeting had previously been held at the Paris facility.

For the Geneva convention center under consideration, the hotel blocks were small and only one was within walking distance.  We would have needed to contract with approximately 10 hotels in order to meet minimum requirements of hotel block. Hotels were spread out, some in the city, while others (the larger hotels) were close to the airport.  Guest room rates were the most expensive of the three options.  Very likely that the meeting space costs could have been covered, but not the network infrastructure. No Host.

The Paris facility quoted the most expensive meeting space costs at over $200,000, as well as the most expensive food and beverage costs and second most expensive guest room rates.  Network infrastructure costs not covered. No Host.

The Dublin facility has a Host to cover meeting space costs, the Welcome Reception, as well as providing the network infrastructure for the meeting at its expense.  The Citywest HQ hotel has a large room block (1,000 on a peak night) and the best room rates of the three, as well as qualified meeting space and "from the technical perspective, City West is the recommended site" (input from the tech visit).  Biggest con - 20 km from the city, which we will try to ameliorate by providing shuttle buses to the Temple Bar area of Dublin Monday through Thursday.

Dublin was recommended by the Meetings Subcommittee and selected by the IAOC.  It provides a good meeting facility and guest rooms under one roof, with a Host, and the least financial risk to the organizations.

If you want to see Dublin, and I recommend it, consider arriving 2 - 3 days early, or staying after the meeting at a hotel downtown near Grafton Street and Trinity College.  The college even has dorm rooms available at very reasonable rates, if you don't mind roughing it a bit..

This meeting will have the highest attendance of the year. Many hotel reservations have already been made.  It's not too late to make yours.  http://www.citywesthotel.com/

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

Eliot Lear wrote:
I wrote:

It's Ray's job to make the call.  It's the IAOC's job to see that he
does his job well.  I think Ray has at least earned the benefit of the
doubt.  Perhaps this is best viewed retrospectively since contracts
are signed?

I am told the following by someone who should know:

Actually, Ray really does NOT make these decisions in the absence of
much debate and analysis within the IAOC and its various committees.

Eliot