Re: IETF 72 --> Dublin!

Dave,

Not wishing to speak for Ray, let me give some general observations:

1. IETF meetings require BOTH a suitable venue (meeting rooms) AND a
   host organization.

2. The host organization have a large say in location (city)
   selection, for a number of reasons. We are going to Philadelphia
   because that is where the HQ of our host is located, for example.

3. While "isolated" venues may be "problematic", there is always a
   tradeoff between a suitable venue (again meeting rooms) and its
   distance to nearby hotels and other facilities. In the case of
   Dublin, it is anticipated that most attendees will stay in the
   main hotel. Having only been party to some of the discussions
   around this particular venue I can only say that CityWest was
   considered to be by far the best alternative --- in Dublin.

Meeting venue selection is a bit like engineering itself: You need to
make tradeoffs between different requirements. Gold is an excellent
conductor, but you won't find a lot of gold power distribution systems
for reasons I hope are obvious. Alumi(ni)num seems to be the material
of choice at least for the high-power stuff.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole@xxxxxxxxx  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj